Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Unbeaten weekend provides confidence boost for stretch run


By Lauren Engleman
Junior, OH/OPP

Getting two victories this past weekend was great for the program because we’re that much closer to getting back to the MAC Tournament. Kent State hasn’t been able to do that in awhile, so we keep working toward our goal of #11.22.

Winning back-to-back 5-setters is rough on the body and mind. For us, it was a big confidence boost and also let us know that we can push through even when the odds are against us. We didn’t have the momentum in either match after losing that 4th set, but found a way to fight back and get the win.

Sweeping Akron was great for us, especially doing it for the first time since 2009. It’s always great to beat your rival, and I’m really glad we were able to get the win for our seniors.

Personally, I’ve played more the last few matches than I had been previously in conference. I’m so excited to help carry the team to a victory. The coaches gave me an opportunity at the end of our match against Western Michigan, and I was able get kills on all 4 of my attempts. That gave me the confidence to believe that I can help the team.

For these last 4 matches, we have to keep the momentum going in our favor. We need to keep pulling out wins in close sets like we have been and just keeping focusing a little more during those moments where we’re down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment