Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Team Retreat to Ohiopyle: Day 1


Payton is a sophomore setter from Battle Creek, Mich. and Lakeview High School. 

As 18 taller-than-average girls piled into four mini vans, I thought of the song “Against All Odds” and how I’m astonished it wasn’t written by one of us. Adversity is our best friend and for the next three days we would fiercly embrace the term.

I virtually kissed all the people I don’t text goodbye a silent tear dripped down my face as 4G turned into a heart-stopping NO SERVICE.

For the next three days, our phones, TV access and former-known lives would be handed over to our three coaches for a team-bonding whitewater rafting experience in southern Pennsylvania.

Upon arriving in the 18-person (or so we think) house, I was reminded of summers spent up north fishing and hiking with my family in northern Michigan. The trees loomed over gravel-sprayed roads with our hanging branches and the river offered up some pretty relaxing views. 

A few of us claimed the best bedrooms. A few of us found the hidden corners and crevices of the new home. Drew discovered a plush plaid robe and refused to take it off for the remainder of the night. Others surrendered to nature and the Adirondack chairs out back. The select few remaining teammates clamored to the “loft” – an attic with six-foot-tall ceilings and eight tiny beds. Cozy, to say the least.

As groceries piled in, Don explained that the 18 of us would be making dinner. Never in my life have I ever seen someone burn boiling water, but we did it. We managed to crisp up pasta noodles while boiling them and make garlic toast too soggy, but we (Steve) made some tasty chicken and (Jenny-opened) bagged salad. Tasty.

Our evening activity was announced as Steve’s Minute to Win it. We divided into groups of three and began our first activity consisting of tennis balls and hula hoop. I immediately got way too excited because if this thing had anything to do with either of the two in their true state, my team would be absolutely winning as I placed second in the state finals for doubles tennis and can out hula-hoop a circus performer. Adversity, my friends, will teach you otherwise.

We were instructed to “hut, hut, hike” the tennis balls through the hoop and I was up first. I felt proud as I stepped away with two successful balls through the hoop as Bridget succeeded 12.

The next activities involved a set of sexy vintage pin-up cards, cotton balls, water balloons and Oreos. I’m pretty sure our team only lost because I couldn’t stop laughing and frequently had to excuse myself from the activities, and because Drew’s attempts at cheating failed her miserably.

For the next few hours we huddled around a campfire and toasted s’mores while discussing a few light topics, and a few heavier ones.

Steve asked us “who is your celebrity crush?” and the responses varied between Clooney, Hemsworth and Levin.

“What’s your biggest fear” followed with snakes, my house burning down, and dying before discovering bigfoot.

On our bucket lists were traveling the world, illustrating children’s books and skydiving. 

But what really made us all think was one final question – “When you look back and talk about our season, what do you want to have said we accomplished?”


Some of us truly grasp what we wanted to say, as this was no easy question. Just one day and I believe we developed a good base as to where we want to be come November.

No comments:

Post a Comment